The first train to Cuckfield & LIndfield - Haywards Heath Railway Station celebrates 175th Anniversary

The fist train arrived at the ‘Station for Cuckfield  Lindfield’ in 1841 … at Haywards Heath!

175 years later, the newly refurbished station will be completed, and to mark this anniversary, on Sunday 18th September, a huge celebration is planned with lots of Victorian fun for all the family. Commemorative legacies will be unveiled in the station, showing the fist train as well as a mosaic made by all local schools and another by our local Twinning Association.

In 1825, John Rennie’s proposed ‘direct’ London to Brighton railway was vigorously opposed by the town and parish of Cuckfield. Lindfield also oppose the railway, so the line passed between them, shortly named Hayward’s Heath; this was the terminus until the line opened to Brighton, putting the ‘new town’ firmly on the map.

Building began around the station immediately, with a timber merchant’s yard and a beer shop probably on the site of the later, now demolished, Liverpool Arms, and the Station Hotel (now Hayworthe House) completed by 1843. By 1887 Haywards Heath was recognised as a town.

On Sunday 18th September The Bluebell’s Stepney will be at the station. There will be train rides, land trains, horse and carriage rides, Children’s Train Station Adventures, Marching Bands, a Grand Procession, Films in Victoria Park, Victorian Fun Fair and much, much more; so truly a great day out for all the family - don’t forget your Victorian costume!

Join in the fun! For more details or to get involved, contact Ruth de Mierre on 01444 453399 or Tim Briggs on 07799 643 721.