By Caroline Whiteman
Jacob’s Spiced Parsnip Soup
Parsnips aren’t everyone’s favourite vegetable but this soup really shows off their best asset, a rich sweetness that works fantastically well with a curry twist.
3 onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large parsnips peeled and chopped into small pieces
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 litre of vegetable stock (homemade is great, otherwise Marigold Bouillon is a great substitute)
75g creamed coconut block, grated
4 tablespoons of mild curry paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan fry the onions in the vegetable oil over a medium heat until beginning to turn golden.
2. Add the garlic and parsnip pieces. Stir and fry for a further 5 mins
3. Add your vegetable stock and simmer for 5 more minutes.
4. Into the pan go your grated creamed coconut and curry paste.
5. Stir thoroughly and simmer for a further 20 mins or until the parsnip pieces are fully softened. Taste and season as necessary.
6. Allow to cool and blend, using a liquidizer or a hand blender. If you don’t have either you can mash using a potato masher.